Location: Greenland Disko Bay and Ilulissat
Dates: August 15-22, 2025 SOLD OUT
Dates: August 22-29, 2025 SOLD OUT
Disko Bay is our favorite place to photograph massive icebergs and Humpback Whales in beautiful evening light. August is one of the warmest months in Greenland, with average high temperatures in the high 50s’s. The icefjord in Disko Bay, is an UNESCO World Heritage Site. We will explore this magical location in small boats as we meander through the icebergs looking for whales, golden light the occasional calving ice face. Bird lovers can photograph Northern Fulmar, Black legged Kittiwakes and Glaucous Gulls as they fly past the rails on our boat. When we are not out on the water, we will explore the colorful houses, iconic black church and sled dogs that live in the town of Ilullssat, our home base for the tour.
- Small group tour – maximum 10 fellow photographers.
- Six night and 5 days to explore the icebergs, glaciers, and landscape of Western Greenland,
- Small boat excursions to get you up close to icebergs, whales and seabirds
- Photograph and explore the town of Ilulissat at the mouth of the Ilulissat Fjord, designated an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Photograph sled dogs in a town that has as many canine residents as humans.
There are two options for flying to Illusuat in time for our group start on August 24: flying through Iceland or flying through Copenhagen, Denmark. You could extend your trip in either place and get great photos. Air Greenland operates routes to Greenland from Copenhagen and Reykjavik and Air Iceland from Reykjavik in Iceland.
Camera Gear List:
For this trip you will want a long telephoto lens of at least 500mm or more for whales and seabirds. We also recommend bringing a 1.4x teleconverter that is compatible with your long telephoto. Here are some recommended items.
- 2 camera bodies
- 500mm or longer telephoto
- 1.4x teleconverter
- extension tubes (inexpensive item that allows you to close focus on using your telephoto)
- solid tripod
- rain cover for camera
Included in the fee:
- All transportation in Illulisat
- Breakfast and dinner while in Illulisat
- Private boat fees
- Lodging while in Illulisat
Not included in fee:
- Airfare to Illuslisat
- Alcoholic beverages at meals
- Tips for guides and boat staff
Know Before You Go: Rated Moderate. This workshop requires walking from 1 -3 miles per day with a full camera bag. A wildlife lens is recommended.
Deposit for Greenland Dikso Bay