9 Spaces Available
Location: Anchorage and Fairbanks, Alaska
Dates: Feb 27-March 9, 2025 Cost: 2024 rates are $6825 double occupancy, single supplement $850 Expect a modest increase for 2025.
Details: The Iditarod Sled Dog Race is called the “Last Great Race” in Alaska. Tom and Cree spent 10 years photographing and volunteering at the race when they lived in Alaska. Now they want to share that experience with you. On this workshop you will attend and photograph the Iditarod Musher Gala, the Ceremonial Iditarod start in downtown Anchorage, the Iditarod Restart in Willow, Alaska. We will fly in a small plane to the Iditarod checkpoint of Rainy Pass to photograph sled teams along the route.
For the second part of the workshop we will 4 different sites to try and photograph the Northern Lights. We will travel to Talkeetna, Healy (near Denali )and two locations in Fairbanks. While in Fairbanks we will photograph colorful ice sculptures at the International Ice Carving Championships.
What you will learn:
- How to create a picture story of the Iditarod
- How to photograph sled dogs in motion
- Editorial photograph at a large event
- Portraits of mushers and sled dogs
- We will try for Northern Light photography at 4 different locations including near Denali
Our group will be staying in several hotels including Copper Whale Inn in downtown Anchorage, Springhill Suites in downtown Fairbanks, and the Denali Dome House near Denali National Park
Closest Airport: Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport ANC to arrive and fly out of Fairbanks International Airport
We will meet for the first time in Anchorage at 4 pm in the Copper Whale Inn on Saturday, March 2. The workshop ends on June 23 in Anchorage in time for late night flights out of Anchorage that night.
Recommended camera gear:
- 1-2 camera bodies (back up body recommended)
- Lenses ranging from wide angle 24mm to 70-200mm
- Wildlife telephoto lens – 300mm or more (200-500mm or similar works great)
- Polarizing filter
- Laptop for editing and critique
- Photo Backpack (with extra room)
Included in the fee:
- Lodging for all nights of the workshop
- Transportation during the workshop
- Musher’s Gala dinner in Anchorage on February 29
- Airplane service to and from Rainy Pass from Anchorage
- 3 nights of aurora viewing if weather coorperates
- Entrance to the International Ice Carving Championships
Participants will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation in Anchorage if spending the night before the workshop
- Meals other than welcome dinner while in Anchorage
- Transportation to Anchorage, Alaska and departure from Fairbanks, AK
- Alcohol while at Silver Salmon Lodge
- Gratuity for guides and drivers
Alaska Weather: Occasionally the weather in Alaska will cause travel delays. This time can be used for editing images or photographing the area. This is a regular part of photographing in Alaska and may result in rescheduling flights or hotel stays at the participants’ expense.
Know Before You Go: Rated Moderate. This trip involves walking from 1-3 miles per day in snowy icy conditions and extreme cold. A wildlife lens and cold weather attire will be needed.
Deposit Iditarod and Aurora 2025