Dates: September 18-27, 2024
Cost: $8499 double occupancy, $500 single supplement, $2800 deposit due upon registration.
Description: Join Tom and Cree with the Wild Source on a 9 day adventure to photograph the great migration on Kenya’s Masai Mara. The Masai Mara during migration is a bucket list photo tour. The Mara is also unsurpassed for game viewing, the big cat viewing is astounding. Lion, leopard and cheetah are all represented and it is not uncommon to have a cat-trick of seeing all three species in a single day. Our guides know many of the individual cats by name and focus on observing natural behavior.
The great migration adds an incredible influx of hundreds of thousands of animals, typically between July and October, and this is the time for dramatic river crossings. Elephant, giraffe, hippo, eland, topi, hyena, zebra and crocodile are some of the common species in the area. Add the vibrant culture of the Maasai and an authentic under canvas camp experience and you have the safari that most people dream of.
Why go on safari with us?
- We have chosen the best safari guides in Kenya for our tour. Conde Nast rated 2 of our 3 guides as the top safari guides in all of Africa.
- Small group size. With just 10 people on our tour and two photo guides, everyone will receive plenty of attention. With just 4 people per vehicle, everyone gets a “window seat”
- Right where the action happens. We have chosen an authentic Hemingway style tent camp right on the confluence of two rivers. We will be in place to see river crossings when other groups are still driving in.
- Focus on photography. We will be out in the vehicles for long days of wildlife photography. Meals can be driven out to us so we stay where the action is. Less luxury on this tour, more photography.
- Just one location. This means more familiarity with the local animals and less time traveling to destinations.
Follow this link to see photos and meet the guides: Kenya: Big Cats & The Migration
What are the accommodations?
We stay at Enaidura Luxury Camp for the entire tour. Guests will have their own tent and bathroom with flush toilet and bucket shower (with warm water). The camp is more rustic than on our Botswana Tour, which is how we have made this tour more affordable.
Closest Airport: Fly in and out of Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (NBO), Nairobi, Kenya
Included in the fee:
- Safari cost includes internal flights (Nairobi-Mara-Nairobi)
- Airport and road transfers
- Accommodation in Nairobi and in our tented camp
- Meals on safari, in Nairobi breakfast included
- Drinks and laundry on safari
- Park/conservation fees
- Private Guides & Vehicles
Participants will provide their own:
- International Air to/from Nairobi, Kenya (NBO)
- Tips – On safari we recommend $40 per person per day — $25 to your guide, and $15 to the camp staff.
- Visa for Kenya (currently $50)
- COVID-19 testing if required.
- Optional activities not listed in the detailed itinerary
- Excess baggage costs for luggage beyond internal flight weight restrictions.
- Travel Insurance is required by the camps. As a service to our clients, we provide complimentary quotes from Travel Guard or you are welcome to secure your own policy.
- Health Preparations – visit to a Travel Clinic and any medications or vaccines needed.
Deposit for Kenya 2024
September 18-27, 2024
Know Before You Go: Rated Moderate. This trip involves walking up to one mile over uneven terrain, climbing steps to get into and out of our raised safari vehicles, and participating on long safari drives, sometimes in hot, dusty conditions. Safari drives require long hours of sitting and are often very rough and bumpy. This may be an issue for photographers with back or neck problems. A wildlife lens of 400mm or more is recommended.
This photo tour is organized and planned by the Wild Source. As such, their terms and conditions apply rather than those for Tom Bol Photo Workshops. Read about the terms and conditions for this workshop here.