Location: Lake Clark National Park Cost: $7989
Dates: June 17-22, 2025
Details: This is our most popular bear destination in Alaska. We fly from Anchorage in a small plane to our comfortable lodge in Lake Clark National Park to photograph coastal brown bears and their spring cubs. This time of year they graze on sedge grasses and dig for clams on the mudflats. The bear density in this area is remarkable. We will also photograph Horned Puffins on a nearby island and search for Trumpeter Swans on local lakes.
This tour offers four nights and five days of bear photography instruction at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge.
What you will learn:
- Wildlife photography techniques
- How to photograph bears in their natural environment
- How to photograph puffins and other seabirds
- Editing in Lightroom and PhotoShop
Our group will be staying at the Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in Lake Clark National Park and these nights are included in your workshop fee. Only double occupancy in a shared room is available while at the lodge. While in Anchorage our group will be in a hotel located near the airport.
Closest Airport: Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport ANC
We will meet for the first time for an evening meeting in Anchorage on Tuesday, June 17 at 6 pm. The workshop ends on June 22 in Anchorage in time for late night flights out of Anchorage.
Recommended camera gear:
- 1-2 camera bodies (back up body recommended)
- Lenses ranging from wide angle 24mm to 70-200mm
- Wildlife telephoto lens – 300mm or more (200-500mm or similar works great)
- Polarizing filter
- Laptop for editing and critique
- Photo Backpack (with extra room)
Included in the fee:
- Lodging in Anchorage for first night
- Airplane service to and from Lake Clark National Park from Anchorage
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
- All meals while at the lodge
Participants will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation in Anchorage if spending the night on June 22
- Meals while in Anchorage
- Round trip transportation to Anchorage, Alaska
- Alcohol while at Silver Salmon Lodge
- Gratuity for staff and guides while at lodge – recommended $300
Alaska Weather: Occasionally the weather in Alaska will cause travel delays. This time can be used for editing images or photographing the area. This is a regular part of photographing in Alaska and may result in rescheduling flights or hotel stays at the participants’ expense.
Know Before You Go: Rated Moderate. This trip involves walking from 1-3 miles per day in uneven terrain and getting in and out of vehicles frequently. A wildlife lens is recommended.
Brown Bears of Lake Clark 2025
June 17-22, 2025