SOLD OUT See 2023 Trip Report
Locations: Crescent City, CA and Bandon Beach, OR
Dates: July 9-13, 2025 Wednesday at 7 pm – Sunday morning at 9 am
Details: Of all the wilderness areas in the US, Redwoods National Park may be the most awe-inspiring. It is home of the world’s largest and tallest trees. Walking through the redwoods in coastal California envelops the photographer in foggy, other-worldly terrain. The giant trees lumber toward the sky in a palette of chartreuse moss and deep red bark which contrast with the dark conifers. The Oregon coast is the second destination on our journey, a beachcomber’s paradise with layers of sea stacks. We chose the month of July for our workshop because it is the driest month of the summer. This offers the best chance to photograph beams of sunlight filtering through the fog.
This workshop offers a stunning range of photographic subjects: towering trees, craggy seastacks, foggy foliage, light beams in the canopy, and time to explore the beaches. A resident population of Roosevelt Elk will delight the wildlife photographers in our group. In between photographing landscapes, students will work on HDR photography to capture all the detail in the shadowy canopy. We will work on macro photography techniques on the canopy floor with mushrooms, ferns and the ubiquitous red sorrel.
On this workshop you will learn about:
- Exposure in a dense tree canopy
- Composition with towering trees
- Using filters (what you cannot find in PhotoShop)
- Processing in Lightroom and PhotoShop
- Maximizing any light source to elevate your images above the rest
- HDR photography: to capture details in the shaded canopy
- Macro photography
- Long exposure photography (waves, clouds, silky water)
We will be photographing mornings and evenings with midday classes and image critiques.
Wed-Friday night hotel: Lighthouse Inn in Crescent City, CA. We will set up a group block under the name Tom Bol Photo Workshops.
Saturday night hotel: Best Western Inn at Face Rock in Bandon, Oregon. We will set up a group block under the name Tom Bol Photo Workshops. Contact the front desk at (541) 347-9441. Stay an extra day and pay the same group rate!
Closest Airport: Either Medford, Oregon or Eugene Oregon. Drive time from Medford to Crescent City is 2.5 hours. Drive time from Eugene to Crescent City is 4 hours. We will start in Crescent City, CA and end in Bandon, OR.
Recommended camera gear:
- Camera body
- Lenses ranging from super wide angle (even fisheye) to 300mm
- Macro lens or extension tube (optional)
- Graduated ND filter
- 10 stop ND filter (optional)
- Speed light (optional)
- Rain hood for your camera
- Laptop for processing and image review
Included in the fee:
- All field instruction with two photo leaders
- Online pre-trip meeting to prepare for the workshop
- Image review and editing instruction
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
Students will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation
- Transportation, airfare, rental car
- All meals
- National Park entrance fee
- State Park entrance fee
Know Before You Go: Rated Moderate: This workshop requires walking from 1-3 miles on uneven and moist terrain.
Deposit for Redwoods & Rocky Coastlines 2025
Dates: July 9-13, 2025
Tom Bol Photo Workshops is a permittee of the National Park Service for this workshop and under a Commercial Use Authorization.