Limited to 10 people: SOLD OUT
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Dates: March 24-28, 2021 Wednesday at 7 pm – Sunday morning after sunrise shoot
Details: Come photograph one of the most iconic landscapes of the West, the Sonoran Desert at Saguaro National Park. Tucson is the perfect location to fully explore and photograph this mountainous desert environment. We’ve designed this workshop to be loaded with special photo opportunities, and timed to catch wildflower blooms in the desert. We’ve spent many years photographing in this area, and a blazing orange sunset framed by a towering saguaro cactus is an image every photographer should capture.
- On our first morning, we will look for desert birds nesting in cactus at the striking San Xavier Mission, south of Tucson.
- We will spend one afternoon photographing at the world-renowned Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. This 98 acre museum is loaded with a huge variety of cactus and endemic desert plants, as well as having walk-in bird aviaries and big mammals.
- In the Tortolita Mountains north of town we have arranged a private session for our group at two wildlife blinds to photograph desert birds and animals at ground level. These blinds have water features and food so bird activity is high.
- Our evenings will be spent capturing spectacular sunsets and saguaro cactus at a variety of different locations.
On this workshop you will:
- Photograph at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, including our favorite, the walk-in hummingbird aviary
- Photograph the Sonoran desert, wildflowers and saguaro cactus at various locations
- Have a private afternoon photography shoot at ground level wildlife blinds
- Have a sunrise shoot at San Xavier Mission
- Have daily classroom sessions on topics such as composition, exposure, landscape techniques, filter use and more
- Have a review and critique session of participant’s images
- Receive a copy of Tom’s ebook, Create Better Photographs
Hotel: Marriott University Park group rate $169.00 per night.
Closest Airport: Tucson, 20 minutes from the hotel. Alternatively, Phoenix often has cheaper airfare and is 1 hour and 45 minutes from Tucson.
Recommended camera gear:
- Camera body
- Lenses ranging from wide angle 24mm to 70-200mm
- Wildlife lens: some choices include 200-500mm, 300mm F4, or longer
- Polarizing filter
- Speed light
Included in the fee:
- All instruction
- Entrance fees to Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum, Old Tucson
- Private session at bird blinds
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
Students will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation
- Transportation, airfare, rental car
- All meals
- Saguaro National Park entrance fee
Tom Bol Photo Workshops is a permittee of the National Park Service for this workshop and under a Commercial Use Authorization
Deposit for Tucson Workshop
April 12-16, 2023