Spaces Available: 4 spaces left
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Dates: April 24-28, 2019 Wednesday at 7 pm – Sunday morning after sunrise shoot
Come photograph one of the most iconic landscapes of the West, the Sonoran Desert. Tucson is the perfect location to fully explore and photograph this mountainous desert environment. We’ve designed this workshop to be loaded with special photo opportunities, and timed to catch wildflower blooms in the desert. We’ve spent many years photographing in this area, and a blazing orange sunset framed by a towering saguaro cactus is an image every photographer should capture.
We will spend one afternoon photographing at the world-renowned Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. This 98 acre museum is loaded with a huge variety of cactus and endemic desert plants, as well as having walk-in bird aviaries and big mammals. In the Tortolita Mountains north of town we have arranged a private session for our group at two wildlife blinds to photograph desert birds and animals at ground level. These blinds have water features and food so bird activity is high. We will take a step back in time and visit Old Tucson Studio, an Old West town and movie set with saloons, dance halls and jails. We have arranged to have our own models here to create stunning old west portraits. No visit to Tucson would be complete without visiting the Pima Air and Space Museum, an airplane graveyard with over 150 planes from vintage B52 bombers to space capsules. Our evenings will be spent capturing spectacular sunsets and saguaro cactus at a variety of different locations. Finally, on our last morning, will have a morning shoot at the striking San Xavier Mission south of Tucson.
On this workshop you will:
- Photograph at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, including our favorite, the walk-in hummingbird aviary
- Photograph the Sonoran desert, wildflowers and saguaro cactus at various locations
- Have a private afternoon photography shoot at ground level wildlife blinds
- Visit and photograph the Pima Air and Space Museum
- Learn to photograph models and use speedlights at Old Tucson Studios
- Have a sunrise shoot at San Xavier Mission
- Have daily classroom sessions on topics such as composition, exposure, landscape techniques, filter use and more
- Have daily review and critique sessions of participant’s images
- Receive a copy of Tom’s ebook, Create Better Photographs
Our days will be filled with class time mixed with photo shoots. Each morning and evening we will photograph a wide variety of locations in the Tucson area. We will have some midday class sessions and image critiques mixed in with our shooting schedule.
Hotel: Marriott University Park Group Rate $180.00 per night. Ask for the Tom Bol Photography group rate.
Closest Airport: Tucson, 20 minutes from the hotel. Alternatively, Phoenix often has cheaper airfare and is 1 hour and 45 minutes from Tucson.
Recommended camera gear:
- Camera body
- Lenses ranging from wide angle 24mm to 70-200mm
- Wildlife lens: some choices include 200-500mm, 300mm F4, or longer
- Polarizing filter
- Speed light
Included in the fee:
- All instruction
- entrance fees to Pima Air Museum, Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum, Old Tucson
- private session at bird blinds
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
Students will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation
- Transportation, airfare, rental car
- All meals
- Saguaro National Park entrance fee