Spaces Available: 8 Spaces Available See 2019 Trip Report
Locations: Crescent City, CA and Bandon Beach, OR
Dates: July 22-26, 2020 Wednesday at 7 pm – Sunday morning at 9 am
Details: Of all the wilderness areas in the US, Redwoods National Park may be the most awe-inspiring. It is home of the world’s largest and tallest trees. Walking through the redwoods in coastal California envelops the photographer in foggy, other-worldly terrain. The giant trees lumber toward the sky in a palette of chartreuse moss and deep red bark which contrast with the dark conifers. The Oregon coast is the second destination on our journey, a beachcomber’s paradise with layers of sea stacks. We chose the month of July for our workshop because it is the driest month of the summer. This offers the best chance to photograph beams of sunlight filtering through the fog.
This workshop offers a stunning range of photographic subjects: towering trees, craggy seastacks, foggy foliage, light beams in the canopy, and time to explore the beaches. A resident population of Roosevelt Elk will delight the wildlife photographers in our group. In between photographing landscapes, students will work on HDR photography to capture all the detail in the shadowy canopy. We will work on macro photography techniques on the canopy floor with mushrooms, ferns and the ubiquitous red sorrel.
On this course you will learn about:
- Using filters (what you cannot find in PhotoShop)
- Lightroom workflow; the ten steps you need to do to every image
- Maximizing any light source to elevate your images above the rest
- HDR photography: to capture details in the shaded canopy
- Macro photography
- Long exposure photography (waves, clouds, silky water)
We will be photographing mornings and evenings with midday classes and image critiques.
Wed-Friday night hotel: Lighthouse Inn in Crescent City, CA. Group Rate $99.00 per night. Contact Margie at (707) 464-3993 and ask for the Tom Bol group rate.
Saturday night hotel: Best Western Inn at Face Rock in Bandon, Oregon. Group rate is $180.00. Contact the front desk at (541) 347-9441. Stay an extra day and pay the same group rate!
Closest Airport: Either Medford, Oregon or Eugene Oregon. Drive time from Medford to Crescent City is 2.5 hours. Drive time from Eugene to Crescent City is 4 hours. We will start in Crescent City, CA and end in Bandon, OR.
Recommended camera gear:
- Camera body
- Lenses ranging from super wide angle (even fisheye) to 300mm
- Macro lens or extension tube (optional)
- Graduated ND filter
- 10 stop ND filter (optional)
- Speed light (optional)
- Rain hood for your camera
- Laptop for processing and image review
Included in the fee:
- All instruction
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
Students will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation
- Transportation, airfare, rental car
- All meals
- National Park entrance fee
- State Park entrance fee