Location: Fairbanks, Alaska See 2019 Trip Report
Dates: February 19-24, 2023 Sunday at 2 pm – Saturday am 10 Spaces Available
Cost: $4199 double occupancy, $600 single supplement
Details: There is no more reliable place to photograph the northern lights than Fairbanks in the winter. Our group will stay in the Marriott on the Fairbanks waterfront as we explore local aurora hot spots and learn how to photograph the northern lights. This is the time of year when the aurora is very active. We will stay out late capturing the northern skies and sleep in to rejuvenate.
On day two we will have a private tour of a local sled dog kennel and photograph the dogs in action. Participants will have the option to take a guided 4 mile sled dog tour.
On day three we drive in 2 large SUVs to the famous Chena Hot Springs Resort. Participants have unlimited access to the outdoor hot springs lake during their stay. The resort offers optional massage, skiing and snow shoeing. During two of our nights our group will take a snow coach up to a mountain ridge for unobstructed views of the auroras. There is a warming hut nearby with hot cocoa to provide breaks if needed.
With three days and nights at Chena, we will have plenty of time to visit the Chena Ice Museum and photograph their colorful ice sculptures while at the resort. We will end our trip with a half day in Fairbanks to work on editing and celebrate with a farewell dinner. Friday night lodging is included for those who prefer to leave after breakfast.
Tom has photographed the aurora in Alaska for decades. Here is his recent blog post on which lens is the best for shooting Northern Lights.
On this course you will learn about:
- Exposure and camera craft for Northern Lights shooting
- Astral photography
- Tips for photographing at night and in the cold
- Editing Northern Lights images
- Photographing dogs in action
Alaska Weather: Occasionally the weather in Alaska will cause travel delays. This time can be used for editing images or photographing the area . This is a regular part of photographing in Alaska and may result in rescheduling flights or hotel stays at the participants’ expense.
Day 1-2: Spring Hill Suites by Marriott
Day 3-6: Chena Hot Springs – Moose Lodge
Day 6: Return to Fairbanks Marriott
Day 7 Departure after breakfast
Closest Airport: Fairbanks, Alaska.
We will send a detailed list of camera gear and clothing needed for the trip.
Included in the fee:
- All instruction
- Transportation in 2 SUVs while in Fairbanks
- Hotel accommodations in Fairbanks and at Chena Hot Springs
- Shuttle from Fairbanks to Chena Hot Springs
- All breakfasts and dinners during the trip
- Entrance to Ice Museum
- Snow Coach to view aurora at Chena Hot Springs
- Private session at dog kennel including 4 mile dog sled ride
- Private warming hut at Ski Land for aurora viewing
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
Students will provide their own:
- Airfare to Fairbanks, Alaska
- Alcoholic beverages while in Fairbanks and Chena Hot Springs
- Transportation from airport to hotel
Deposit for Session 1 Fairbanks
Dates February 20=26, 2022