SOLD OUT Space available in 2024 Click here for details
Dates: May 10-14, 2023 Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Cost: $2299 (subject to change, if boat prices increase)
Details: Join Tom and Cree Bol in the heart of Louisiana to photograph the Bald Cypress Swamps near Lafayette. We have timed our workshop for prime nesting for egrets, herons and spoonbills. We will photograph by boat during four of our sessions and visit two different rookery sites. After full days of instruction and photography we will relax with some of the best Cajun food in the country.
On this workshop you will:
- Photograph Bald Cypress and Tupelo swamp from both boats and land
- Photograph colorful herons, egrets and spoonbills
- Photograph birds in flight from a sturdy boat with swivel chairs
- Photograph swamp wildlife like alligators, birds
- Learn to use backlighting to add drama to your swamp photos
- Learn tips in Lightroom and PhotoShop to enhance your images
Closest Airport: Lafayette Regional Airport in Lafayette, Louisiana. Fifteen minute drive from the airport to our hotel. Alternately, fly into the Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport and drive 48 minutes to our hotel.
Hotel: Drury Inn and Suites in Lafayette, Louisiana
Meeting Times: We’ll meet at 5 pm on May 10th and finish after a morning session on May 14.
Recommended camera gear:
- 1 or 2 Camera bodies
- Lenses ranging from wide angle 24mm to 70-200mm
- Wildlife lens: some choices include 200-500mm, 300mm F4, or longer
- Polarizing filter
Included in the fee:
- Welcome dinner
- All instruction in the field with two photography instructors
- Fees for swamp boats during at least 3 photo sessions
- Classroom sessions on editing, composition and more
- Entrance fees to all bird parks and rookeries
- Pre-trip Zoom meeting to discuss gear and trip details
Participants will provide their own:
- Transportation to Lafayette, LA and while on the workshop
- All meals, except for welcome dinner and all alcoholic beverages
- Hotel lodging
- PCR tests or other expenses due to unforeseen trip extensions or medical evacuations
We recommend purchasing trip and cancellation insurance.
Know Before You Go: Rated Moderate. This trip involves walking from 1-3 miles per day on uneven terrain as well as getting into and out of boats.
Deposit for Louisiana Bayous and Birds
May 10-14, 2023 SOLD OUT