Spaces Available: 5 Spaces Available
Location: St. Mary, Montana
Dates: July 8-12, 2020
Details: Glacier National Park, located on the northern edge of the Big Sky Country is a photographer’s paradise. It is a land of huge turquoise lakes, snow capped peaks and fields of beautiful wildflowers. The graphic shapes and colors of the peaks are reflected at first and last light in the glacier lakes that dot the park. Spring flowers such as shooting star, Indian paint brush and the iconic bear grass provide endless macro photography opportunities. Grizzly bear, moose, mountain goats, bighorn sheep and deer wander through the park, within easy access of hiking trails.
We have timed our trip to spend a day at one of the largest Blackfeet Indian gatherings of the year, North American Indian Days. Tribes from all over the United States and Canada come to the Blackfeet Reservation in Browning, Montana for traditional drumming, dance competitions and a rodeo. Our group will spend a full day in Browning photographing colorful traditional attire and the festival activities.
What you will learn:
- Wildlife Photography techniques
- Seeing Creatively
- Filter Use
- Macro photography techniques
- Lightroom Workflow; ten steps for every image
- Travel portraits – North American Indian Days
- Image reviews and classroom sessions
While we will have some class time, due to the size of the park and abundant photography options, much of our time will be spent photographing in the field.
Hotel: St. Mary’s Lodge in St. Mary, Montana; West Motel $220 or Great Bear Lodge $319 (limited rooms available) per night. Ask for the Tom Bol Photo Workshop room block. Be sure to use the link above to avoid going to similar names sites in West Glacier. We will be staying in the St Mary area of the park.
Closest Airport: Kalispell, Montana Airport. Drive time from Kalispell to St Mary’s, Montana is 2 hours.
Recommended camera gear:
- Camera body
- Lenses ranging from wide angle 24mm to 70-200mm
- Wildlife telephoto lens – 300mm or more
- Macro lens or extension tube (optional)
- Polarizing filter
- Speed light (optional)
Included in the fee:
- All instruction
- location and permit fees
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
- Photography permit for Native American Indian Days
Students will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation
- Transportation, airfare, rental car
- All meals
- Glacier National Park entrance fee