Location: Lone Pine & Bishop, California
Dates: October 2-6, 2019, Wednesday at 7 pm – Sunday after 1 pm
The Eastern Sierra is one of the most scenic areas in the United States. Highway 385, stretching from Lone Pine in the south to Bodie State Historical Park in the north, runs below the Sierra crest in California. This route traverses dramatic mountains, high alpine lakes and the other-worldly landscapes of Mono Lake. The Eastern Sierra is also home to some of the oldest trees in the world, the bristlecone pine tree. We will spend a night out photographing the stars and the Milky Way.
- Bodie, a late 1800’s mining town nestled in a high mountain valley
- Mono Lake, the white tufa columns and mirror reflections make this an incredible sunrise location
- Bristlecone Pines, we will photograph these ancient trees near the alpine zone
- Alabama Hills, these rock formations are located right below Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48. This area is stunning at sunrise and sunset with numerous arches and spires
- Night photography, the air in the Eastern Sierras is very clear, with little light pollution. We will venture out one night to photograph the stars and Milky Way
- Fall Color, we have timed this trip to coincide with stunning yellow aspens near the many alpine lakes in the area.
Our days will be filled with class time mixed with photo shoots. Each morning and evening we will photograph a wide variety of locations in area. We will have some midday class sessions and image critiques mixed in with our shooting schedule.
Hotel: We have set up group blocks for Tom Bol Photo Workshops at the following two hotels:
October 2-4, 2019 Holiday Inn Express in Bishop, California Group Rate $189.99
October 5, 2019 Best Western Frontier in Lone Pine, California. Ask for the Tom Bol Photo Workshop group block.
Closest Airport: Mammoth Yosemite Airport is the closest airport to Bishop and is an hour away. Larger airports nearby include Reno, 3.5 hours to the north or Las Vegas, 4.5 hours away with easy access to Death Valley on the way.
Recommended camera gear:
- Camera body
- Lenses ranging from wide angle 24mm to 70-200mm
- Wildlife lens: some choices include 200-500mm, 300mm F4, or longer
- Polarizing filter
- Speed light
Included in the fee:
- All instruction
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
Students will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation
- Transportation, airfare, rental car
- All meals
- Bodie State Historical Park entrance fee