1 Space Available (male cabinmate) See 2022 Trip report
Location: Lake Clark National Park Cost: $6989
Dates: Sunday, June 18 – Friday, June 23, 2023
Details: This is our most popular bear destination in Alaska and we are celebrating Summer Solstice with the bears! We start in Anchorage for a welcome dinner and fly to our comfortable lodge at Silver Salmon Creek in Lake Clark National Park to photograph coastal brown bears as they graze on sedge grasses and dig for clams in the mud flats. The bear density in this area is remarkable. We will spend our days photographing bears as well as a morning photographing puffin by small boat.
This tour offers five days of bear photography instruction at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge. We will celebrate the longest day of the year around an Alaskan style bonfire.
Alaska Weather: Occasionally the weather in Alaska will cause travel delays. This time can be used for editing images or photographing the area. This is a regular part of photographing in Alaska and may result in rescheduling flights or hotel stays at the participants’ expense.
What you will learn:
- Wildlife photography techniques
- How to photograph bears in their natural environment
- How to photograph puffins and other seabirds
- Editing in Lightroom and PhotoShop
Our group will be staying at the Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in Lake Clark National Park and these nights are included in your workshop fee. Only double occupancy in a shared room is available while at the lodge. While in Anchorage our group will be in a hotel located near downtown.
Closest Airport: Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport ANC
We will meet for the first time for an evening meeting in Anchorage on Sunday, June 18. The workshop ends on June 23 in Anchorage in time for late night flights out of Anchorage that night.
Recommended camera gear:
- 1-2 camera bodies (back up body recommended)
- Lenses ranging from wide angle 24mm to 70-200mm
- Wildlife telephoto lens – 300mm or more (200-500mm or similar works great)
- Polarizing filter
- Laptop for editing and critique
- Photo Backpack (with extra room)
Included in the fee:
- Lodging in Anchorage for first night
- Welcome dinner in Anchorage on June 18
- Airplane service to and from Lake Clark National Park from Anchorage
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
- All meals while at the lodge
Participants will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation in Anchorage if spending the night on June 23
- Meals other than welcome dinner while in Anchorage
- Round trip transportation to Anchorage, Alaska
- Alcohol while at Silver Salmon Lodge
- Gratuity for staff and guides while at lodge
Know Before You Go: Rated Moderate. This trip involves walking from 1-3 miles per day in uneven terrain and getting in and out of vehicles frequently. A wildlife lens is recommended.
Deposit for Brown Bears at Summer Solstice
Final Payment Summer Solstice Bears