3 Spaces Available See 2021 Trip report
Location: Lake Clark National Park Cost: $6989
Dates: Monday, July 11 – Saturday, July 16, 2022
Details: Join Tom and Cree for a photographic adventure in Alaska with two icons: Alaskan brown bears and glaciers. We start in Anchorage for a welcome dinner and fly to our comfortable lodge at Silver Salmon Creek in Lake Clark National Park to photograph coastal brown bears as they graze on sedge grasses and dig for clams in the mud flats. The bear density in this area is remarkable; we will spend our days photographing bears as well as other wildlife including red fox and eagles. We may also spend a morning photographing puffin by small boat.
We return to Anchorage for an evening off and then set out the next morning for a photography session on the tundra at Hatcher Pass. This spot boasts some of the best arctic wildflowers in Alaska. We round off our workshop with a scenic helicopter ride to the Knik Glacier with landings on both the tundra and the glacier for more photography.
This tour offers six days of photography instruction in two of the most unique, exciting destinations in Alaska.
Alaska Weather: Occasionally the weather in Alaska will cause travel delays. This time can be used for editing images or photographing the area . This is a regular part of photographing in Alaska and may result in rescheduling flights or hotel stays at the participants’ expense. If the helicopter flight is canceled, you will be reimbursed $580.
What you will learn:
- Wildlife photography techniques
- How to photograph bears in their natural environment
- How to photograph glaciers and shoot from a moving helicopter
- Editing in Lightroom and PhotoShop
Our group will be staying at the Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in Lake Clark National Park and these nights are included in your workshop fee. Only double occupancy in a shared room is available while at the lodge. We will place singles with other same sex participants. While in Anchorage our group will be in a hotel located near downtown.
Closest Airport: Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport ANC
We will meet for the first time for an evening meeting in Anchorage on Monday, July 11. The workshop ends on July 16 in Anchorage in time for late night flights out of Anchorage that night.
Recommended camera gear:
- 1-2 camera bodies (back up body recommended)
- Lenses ranging from wide angle 24mm to 70-200mm
- Wildlife telephoto lens – 300mm or more (200-500mm or similar works great)
- Polarizing filter
- Laptop for editing and critique
- Photo Backpack (with extra room)
Included in the fee:
- Lodging in Anchorage for the nights 1 and 5
- Welcome dinner in Anchorage on July 11
- Airplane service to and from Lake Clark National Park from Anchorage
- Daily transportation by car to photography sites
- Final lunch on July 16
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
- All meals while at the lodge
Participants will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation in Anchorage if spending the night on July 16
- Dinner and lunch in Anchorage on July 15
- Round trip transportation to Anchorage, Alaska
- Alcohol while at Silver Salmon Lodge
- Gratuity for staff and guides while at lodge
Deposit for Bears and Glaciers