6 Spaces Available
Location: Lake Clark National Park Cost: $6200
Dates: Thursday, June 17 – Tuesday , June 22, 2021
Details: Join Tom and Cree for a photographic adventure in Alaska with two icons: Alaskan brown bears and tidewater glaciers. We start in Anchorage with a trip to Prince William Sound to photograph glaciers. These isolated fjords and remote bays have numerous glaciers, and many actively ‘calve’ into the ocean. If you want to photograph massive towers of ice plunging into the icy water, this is your chance. Our private boat will get us in the right position, as well as be able to land onshore for unique landscape photo opportunities. Prince William Sound is rich in wildlife and we often see whales, seals, sea otters, puffins and porpoise.
Next we fly to our comfortable lodge at Silver Salmon Creek in Lake Clark National Park to photograph coastal brown bears as they graze on sedge grasses and dig for clams in the mud flats. The bear density in this area is remarkable; we will spend our days photographing bears as well as other wildlife including red fox and eagles. We may also spend a morning photographing puffin by small boat. This tour offers six days of photography instruction in two of the most unique, exciting destinations in Alaska.
Alaska Weather: Occasionally the weather in Alaska will cause travel delays. This time can be used for editing images or photographing the area . This is a regular part of photographing in Alaska and may result in rescheduling flights or hotel stays at the participants’ expense.
What you will learn:
- Wildlife photography techniques
- How to photograph bears in their natural environment
- How to photograph glaciers and marine life from a moving boat
- Editing in Lightroom and PhotoShop
Our group will be staying at the Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in Lake Clark National Park and these nights are included in your workshop fee. Only double occupancy is available while at the lodge. We will place singles with other same sex participants. While in Anchorage our group will be in a hotel located near downtown.
Closest Airport: Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport ANC
We will meet for the first time for an evening meeting at the Anchorage on Thursday, June 17. We will return from Lake Clark in the afternoon on June 22, 2021. We will land back in Anchorage in the afternoon on Thursday, June 22. Tom & Cree will take a red-eye flight out of Anchorage that night.
Recommended camera gear:
- 1-2 camera bodies (back up body recommended)
- Lenses ranging from wide angle 24mm to 70-200mm
- Wildlife telephoto lens – 300mm or more (200-500mm or similar works great)
- Polarizing filter
- Laptop for editing and critique
- Photo Backpack (with extra room)
Included in the fee:
- Lodging in Anchorage for the first two nights
- Welcome dinner in Anchorage on June 17
- Airplane service to and from Lake Clark National Park from Anchorage
- Daily transportation by cart to photography sites
- Location and permit fees
- Copy of Tom’s ebook Create Better Photographs
- All meals while at the lodge
Students will provide their own:
- Hotel accommodation in Anchorage if spending the night after trip ends
- Dinner in Anchorage on June 18
- Round trip transportation to Anchorage, Alaska
- Alcohol while at Silver Salmon Lodge
- Gratuity for staff and guides while at lodge